Thursday, September 25, 2008

Slavery...

This week is the first week of classes where I am able to actually begin teaching new material. In the social studies classes I have begun with giving a very brief history of Ghana focusing on geographic factors of development. It is impossible to discuss the history of Ghana and West Africa though, without discussing slavery. Discussing slavery is a difficult, but interesting, topic in a US classroom that is predominately white-European. Here, there are so many more dimensions to the topic and the discussion that follows. I am the only white-European in the room, and for that matter, the school. These students may have ties to slavery of some kind. How, as a teacher, do I teach this coming from such a background? I have had absolutely no problems in the classroom, but it is just a very interesting topic, in a very interesting place and really does give me pause for thought. Not sure how I feel about it at the moment, just trying to absorb everything, journal it, and take it in stride.

P.S.- The "chalk/candy" is actually something that is edible! It is, however, only something that pregnant women eat. Why did the lady sell it to me?

No comments: