Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Laundry Day...

Laundry, or “wash”, here is not quite the same as it is in the US. Here it is by hand, it takes much longer, and is hard work. Yesterday for the first time I tried to do it and it was not pretty. I started way to late in the day. I did it around noon when the sun was hot and it was humid and there is not enough day left for everything to dry by the evening. Regardless, I did 24 pieces of laundry. I have never counted laundry in the US in my life, but here, after an hours worth of hard work, I counted to see how much I did.

I took two huge bowl like buckets and filled one with soapy water the other half full with clear water. You take the clothes in the soapy water and scrub them together one by one, dunk them in the clear water, rinse them again from a huge “poly tank” and put them on the line to dry. I did this, but I don’t; think I used enough soap or scrubbed long enough. Needless to say, some of my t-shirts still don’t smell or look the greatest. This morning, after my run, I redid some of the wash and it is on the line to dry right now. Hopefully it will be better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yikes i hated laundry days... the detergent made my whites stiffffffff