Friday, September 12, 2008

Makola Market, A Whole New Perspective…

Today, Madame Headmistress took me to Makola Market in the center of Accra. We had to take two trotros to get there and when we did is was an interesting experience. Most everyone in Accra, or Ghana for that matter does all of their grocery shopping in the markets, not at a grocery store. (I think there are only 3 that exist in Accra). This market is the biggest in Accra and, rumor has it, the largest in Africa. We got off the trotro and walk around for nearly 3 hours and still did not see even half of it. I was amazed. We walked into one of the entrances from the street and as we walked through, I glanced over to notice a railing and that below us there were 2 more levels! They sell anything and everything that you can imagine and every 3 steps is an entirely new cacophony of smells (some good, some not so good). Many of the things in the market are things that I have never ever seem before. I asked the headmistress what some things were and she tried to explain it, but more often than not I just nodded my head and stared in amazement. It was a neat experience and a bit overwhelming as well. I think that, initially at least, I may stick to the smaller market nearer to the school, but maybe not, there is still much exploring to be done!

No comments: