Friday, December 26, 2008

Angel...


I went to the Volta region of Ghana last weekend with one of the other Fulbright teachers and had a nice time. I saw (supposedly) the tallest waterfall in West Africa (Wli- pronounced ‘Vlee’- Falls), and swam in it! It was awesome. I Also went to the original Kente or “Kete” weaving village named Kpetoe. It was pretty neat. I got to try and actually do some of the weaving on the traditional looms and it was fun.

While getting on a trotro to go from Hohoe to Hoe (Wli Falls to the city near the Kente village) I met Angel. Angel is a Ghanaian girl who cannot be more than 7 or 8 years old and sells juice boxes for 10 pesewa (cents) from a tray she carries on her head. She saw Rebecca (the other Fulbright teacher) and I and could not stop staring and smiling at us. She spoke absolutely no English and the region we were in, the Volta Region, is a region that speaks “Elwe”, of which I don’t speak a word. So she just stood there staring at us and smiling, the cutest little ‘Angel’. Either she was simply awestruck be seeing two obrunis, or the best con-artist in the world because I gave her the rest of my FanYogo (a frozen yogurt treat that they sell of the streets here which really is delicious). She smiled and started to eat it and slowly walked away staring at me the entire time. However, she only got about 10 yards from the trotro and continued to just stare and smile. Rebecca had bought a “ginger drink” and did not like it so asked if I wanted it. I said sure and promptly signaled Angel to come over. I gave it to her and she again smiled and walked away staring. Same 10 yards, same smile, same stare. Eventually, she came back over and smiled and rubbed her stomach which I took as a kind thank you. She went back to her ten yards and smiled and stared. (Please keep in mind that there are these types of sellers all over, usually not as young as her, but they are all walking around and actively hawking their wares. Not Angel, she just stood, smiled, and stared.) Eventually I bought some rolls to give to her, but as I was buying them, she vanished. We sat in the trotro for another 15-20 minutes before we left, but she never came back. I asked 4 or 5 different sellers if they knew Angel and if they could show her to me, but to no avail. I did not even eat the rolls, I gave them to one of the other little vendor girls. Call me crazy or soft or whatever, but it is people like Angel and Wisdom that make me a little sad; they have so much potential, such a big heart, a limitless future, but have so little in life. The image of her standing outside the trotro window is not one that I will soon forget.

3 comments:

megat said...

your blog very beautiful and more info,I like your blog

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......

Unknown said...

The original kente vilage is actually in the Ashanti region. It is called Bonwire. You may want to go there if you get a chance. Kente weaving came from the Ashante/Akans. Originally the fabric was meant for the royals and certain designs can be worn only by the Ashanti royals. The Ewes do weave their own cloth but it is not kente. The patterns are different, mainly stripes and fewer colors per design. they have been trying their hand at kente but that is a fairly recent thing